The theme for 2017 is “Breaking the Silence: Gender and Genocide”. This year events will;
1) honour the courage and resilience of the women of Bosnia-Herzegovina and highlight how their work is contributing to rebuilding of a country still living with the consequences of hatred.
2) explore how genocide in Bosnia was gendered, paying particular attention to the victims of wartime sexual violence and rape
3) show the significant contributions of women to seeking truth and justice for the genocide, and challenging denial.
We suggest that you consider using our template speech and presentation which you can adapt to suit the nature of your event:
– Speech for Srebrenica Memorial Day 2017
– Presentation for Srebrenica Memorial Day 2017
Incorporating a Pledge to Remember towards the end of your event is a brilliant way of getting participation from attendees, by ether reading the pledge aloud or lighting candles.
One of the most impactful ways to engage attendees with Srebrenica is through survivor testimony. We recommend that you honour their brave testimonies by sharing their stories through our event videos.
Dr Janine Clark, University of Birmingham, has provided an excellent 15 video presentation to Remembering Srebrenica on “Remembering the survivors of rape and sexual violence”. This resource would be an excellent addition to a Srebrenica memorial day on the theme of Gender and Genocide. Please note the presentation contains accounts of rape and torture.
Please contact email@example.com to register your event